Friday 20 February 2015

Unboxing The Joker Crew - Oh dear

Great excitement - the postman finally arrived and had my Batman delivery with my Joker models. Just couldn't wait to get stuck in.

The first thing to say is that each model comes with its own game card which is very useful indeed and was unexpected.


So - I reckon that the makers of models have a couple of choices when it comes to assembly.

A. They recognise that the model will need pinning so they make sure they present the buyer with two nice big flat surfaces for ease of drilling.

or

B. They are confident of there modelling skills and design a male a female joint so the the pieces slot together quite easily and can be glued.

It is clear that Knight models have chosen option B above. It is also clear that confidence in their modelling skills has been misplaced (at least with this box set). Not one of the male, female slots is a tight fit. I have tried gluing all four models and am an unhappy chappie.

Pinning is going to be required and without flat surfaces it will be a pig. Not only that, but why oh why does anyone choose a wrist joint for a joint. It is the narrowest part of the arm and drilling will be a nightmare ... actually probably impossible. I might be able to cut the arm off at the elbow to form a pin surface and then use green stuff to remodel the arm. How absolutely dreadful!


Mr Hammer is a bigger model so I move on to him with hope in my heart. It would be nice to be able to assemble him.


But ... no, it is just the same. This time there is a great big shoulder joint which would be easy to pin if given two flat surfaces again we are presented with a male, female joint. This time it is quite large which should be a positive as the hammer is heavy but ... it is not a tight fit and wobbles. God I hate it!!!

I will have to carve out the shoulder joint and then come back with green stuff to remodel the shoulder in some way. Going to be a complete pain. Really, really?

I have two more blisters to open but am going to leave them for another day.

Customer experience opening this: -

Initial excitement - 10/10
Finding the card - 10/10
Model assembly - 3/10 and feeling very cheated.

Don't get me wrong the models themselves have lovely detail and I am looking forward to painting them but.... I wanted to assemble at least one of them (probably all of them) and get a base coat on so that I could start painting tonight - not going to happen and I am very disappointed.

15 comments:

  1. Almost all the models in this series require pinning – try pinning Harley Quinn's wrist, it's less than 2mm in diameter – and there's no getting around it. Not pinning will end in tears down the line I have no doubt. We've been 'spoilt' with GW for a very long time and their easy to build models. It will be worth it in the end, just dig out a file and your liquid greenstuff and settle in for the afternoon. I spent last night pinning my guys to their bases!

    P.S. don't buy the Catwoman model for this very reason ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also the nature of the production process that sometimes the joint fill in with excess metal. I enjoy the construction part of the hobby, pinning, filling, sculpting, making sure everything is seamless and securely fixed.

      Delete
    2. Disgruntled, I have commenced cutting and carving so that I can pin. Wearing plasters already from tools slipping and entering skin. Grrrrr.

      Delete
    3. You can borrow my Dremel if it will help ;)

      Delete
    4. I am making progress - the big issues are where it is very narrow. For Clown with knife I have just drilled and taken out a section of his arm. More like a crevice but at least I can still use the pin. Green stuff after that to cover up the damage. Mr Hammer was not so bad - big pin and he is sticking. The Joker is so thin it is proving interesting. I think I am even going to have to pin his head in position.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes you can put a dot of greenstuff in the joint before the superglue, then the pressure of putting them together gets it to conform to the shape and fill gaps. Works for limbs that are close to the body, but anything sticking out at a right-angle has to be pinned or it will fall off ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dot of greenstuff - I have never tried that - sounds good. Might just work here for some of the situations - the Jokers head for example.

      Delete
  3. I have a very sharp 1mm drill bit that served me well drilling into Robin's ankle last night, but you need a steady hand, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try the greenstuff dot it works otherwise i feel you pain all the way across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - been in and got some new greenstuff - both liquid and the usual. I will be pinning and green stuffing until I get to a position of undercoat - just going to tough it out. Making a hell of a mess though.

      Delete
  5. Now this is a tragic read! I can certainly recommend the dot of greenstuff method though - served me well in the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - looks like I will be busy sorting out all the various joints for the next while. I have decided that I really like the Triston model. Big clown face :-)

      Delete
  6. I have the penguin crew and had not real troubles tbh. I have read from various sources simiiar issues. But I can find the same problem with other mini makers not just knight so I guess its a bit of luck with the castings perhaps. Chin up I'm sure you'll over come it they will look fab when painted.

    ReplyDelete