Thursday 22 June 2017

Da Boyz are back in town - WAAAAAAGH!

This blog started as a Waaaaagh so this brings us full circle.

It had to happen, the 8th edition has been published and I have been to get my copy. So what does it mean for the green skins? It's all change in the 40k world but is it a good thing? 7th edition was a disaster for Orks. They were pretty unplayable. These are my first thoughts on the new rules.

My beloved 'Ard Boyz are gone. They have been a mainstay for years and, if I am reading the codex right, they the are gone. RIP. They were the first thing I went looking for. Downhearted, I flicked on through the pages. Things got better, much better.....

Da Boyz
STATS
First up, Da Boyz are now S4 and I like it.

FEARLESS
The Mob Rule ability means that the units can use the number of models in the unit instead Leadership for morale. The allowable unit size is up to 30 so this is encouraging the Green Tide. We can be Fearless again. Superb!

Note all template weapons are gone from the game so no need for all that spacing out Da Boyz to maximise the 2" allowable gap. Much better for the green skins and for playing generally.

MOVEMENT
Move is reduced to 5", boo hiss. There is now an Advance option where the unit can move forward a further D6". Charge is a 2D6 test and the 'Ere We Go ability allows this to be re-rolled. There is a 3" Piling In allowance and a Heroic Intervention allowance of 3" for Characters.

So basically move 5", Advance D6 say 3" (8" total), Charge 2D6, with re-rolls, should be 8" (16" total), to Move within 1" of the enemy (17" total) then everything else comes Piling In and uses Heroic Intervention for characters. Yip - that is potentially a good long way!

Disembarking vehicles has to be done before the vehicle moves. So no more racing Da Boyz forward in Trukks and jumping out for some choppa fun. Alternatives need to be found.

Wierdboyz can now choose their Power of Waaagh discipline. Da Jump is a real possibility as a unit can be moved to within 9" of the enemy.

Stormboyz are interesting too. They have a 12" move. They can Advance and Charge the same turn (with some downside but ...). They also have 'Ere we Go and Mob Rule. Upto 30 in a unit. Gosh. So using 12" instead of 5" above thats 24" total. Potential to be in combat during the first turn.

Kommandos can sneak in behind the enemy. He, he. I have used this to my advantage before.

When it is all done units can Consolidate a further 3" towards the enemy.

FIGHTING
I have been having a look through the latest fight rules the first thing that strikes is that Initiative is gone so Da Boyz can hit first when they charge. A proper first for Orks. Yipee!

Waaagh
Overwatch is still a pain, but such is life.

And so to dice......Da Boyz get 2 attacks, plus an attack for using a Choppa (3A's), plus an attack for Green Tide (being more than 20 models in the unit) (4A's), A Wierdboy with Warpath plus another attack (5A's), add Ghazghkull Thraka with his Great Waagh so Da Boyz can Advance and Charge in the same turn and you also get plus one attack for every model in the unit (6A's). I am making that 180 attacks plus the extra ones for Nobs and Boss's etc. Throw in a Waagh Banner and you get plus one to the hit rolls. I mean seriously! (not sure how this will work out points wise but even the thought of it.....)

I think I am going need some more dice and a bloody big bucket to throw them :-)

I am also going to need more models and I just never thought that would be the case with all the Orks currently in my possession.

SUMMARY
Da Boys are back in town - Waaaaaagh!!


3 comments:

  1. I'm sensing that someone is a very happy chap! The line, "I am also going to need more models" was inevitable though, after all, we always need more models! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy, happy, happy! We are playable again. And this is just the basic Boyz. There are lots of other juicy options to consider. Oh, oh, oh soooooo exciting. Mountains of dice....its like they read my mind. He, he and your right we always need more models ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've been reading Da 40k Orks (and more) and his very happy with the changes now. Da jump looks insanely fun and shenanigans with fast paced units to back up jump targets or just throwing through Grots at people late in the game just sounds entertaining.
    Area denial will be a big thing I expect.
    http://www.http://www.da40korks.com/2017/06/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-ork.html.com/2017/06/warhammer-40k-8th-edition-ork.html

    ReplyDelete